Saturday, February 28, 2015

MY Next Step

So this is MY next step.  Welcome. In 2011 I created The Write Hope, another blog you'll find under my name, but in the last year I found myself wanting to part ways from it and start something new. As it turns out, I most definitely do not have it all (my future that is) figured out, but I knew I needed to take the next step in discovering what lies ahead. I considered a more professional type of website to market my talent and abilities and God given gifts, and that may still follow, but for now I know little more than my love for writing.  The rest remains delightfully unclear.  Interestingly, I have yet to turn this literary passion into a profitable means of survival, but I'm working on that.  In the meantime, a little bit about yours truly.

 I am rapidly approaching my 35th birthday and ninth wedding anniversary.  My son just turned 10 (the math isn't hard. No, we weren't married when he was born) and my favorite cat recently turned five. Lots of milestones.  Why mention the feline? Because he is that important to me. Professionally, I'm working full time on my doctoral degree in applied clinical psychology.  On top of the three thousand pre and post-doc internship hours I have to complete before I can sit for licensure, I also get to spend 800 hours completing an unpaid practicum position.  My particular lot for the 800 fell at a locked psychiatric hospital in south L.A, and despite the long hours in traffic, I truly enjoy what I do.
 Five years ago you could have asked me where I saw myself down the road, but providing individual and group psychotherapy to the severally mentally ill wouldn't have even been on my radar.  I do love it when life surprises me. My plans for the future are still unwritten, but God has a funny way of writing my story better than I ever could. It has taken me years, but I am finally learning to just give Him the pen, trust Him with the unknown, and simply take the next step.  What is your next step?

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to and acknowledge Him,
    and He will make your paths straight. - Proverbs 3:5-6




No comments:

Post a Comment